Sunday, December 5, 2010

1. Conversation Partner: Final

Since I am not able to meet with Julia again, I will use my final Conversation Partner blog to talk about an experience I had with people from another country. The reason I cannot meet with Julia again is because she is on vacation with her husband for a month.
So, an experience I had with someone from another country was the person that lived across the hall from me in high school. His name was Xavier. At first we did not get along. He was from Mexico City, Mexico and was completely different than me.
As I got to know Xavier more, I realized how much of a friend he could become. He was very nice. One fall break he even let me go with his family to Colorado because I had no place to go.
Through Xavier, I learned a lot about what it means to be a friend. I had to look past our differences in order to see it, but I soon found one of my best friends. We still talk to this day.
Another experience I had with a person from another country was not as great as the one I had with Xavier. A couple summers ago my family and I took a vacation to Spain. We were in Seville at the time and my sister and I wanted to go shopping. We went out and before we realized it, we were lost. We asked many people for directions but were not fluent in their language so it was not any help.
It was hard to communicate with them and soon we became angry. It was hot, we were sweating and we were lost in a foreign country. It was not looking good for us. It wasn't until we ran into a person from America teaching spanish over there that we were able to find our way home.
This was the first time I was truly introduced to the language barrier in a dangerous situation. It was hard and it taught me the importance of patience. If my sister and I would have been more understanding and patient, we wouldn't have made things worse by running around and confusing ourselves more.
All in all, I have had many experiences with people from other countries. Some of them are good and some are bad, but I always seem to learn something. This is the message I have gotten out of my experiences.

1 comment:

  1. I had the same problem when I went to Mexico. Except I could not find my way back to the cruise ship i needed to board to make it home. I think we were in Cozumel and had six hours of play and beach time. My friend and I went exploring and found ourselves lost in this city. Luckily, we found our way back to the beach....Five miles from the dock. Running on the beach isn't really exciting.

    ReplyDelete