Thursday, November 18, 2010

Cat in the Rain

               This week's readings were not my particular favorite. I have enjoyed Hemingway. I love the way that he writes and what he writes about. Out of all the Hemingway that we have read for class, this "Cat in the Rain" is my least favorite. It was not very interesting to me and just seemed to be a pointless story.
                Like I said, I did not find the story very interesting. It took place in Italy, which is an awesome place to vacation. There could be so many cool stories that come out of a vacation in Italy. Instead, it is raining so there is nothing to do. With nothing to do, a woman sees a cat, wants to get it away from the rain and fails to do so. The husband is disinterested the entire time and the woman makes a comment about wanting to grow her hair out and wanting a cat. This was the entire story.
               I found this story boring because I found it bland. There was nothing deeper to me in the story. The husband is disinterested so that shows trouble in the relationship. The maid brings up a cat that was requested, that shows that the woman gets some of the stuff she wants. That is all I saw in this story.
              Also, I did not relate to this story. I have first off never been to Italy. I would love to go to Italy when it is sunny, but a rainy Italy does not sound like a fun trip. The best trip that I have ever gone on was a trip to Europe. I went to Spain with my family. It was amazing. I got to see Madrid, Barcalona, a bull fight, the beach, and much more. It was one of the best times of my life. Therefore, I cannot see how anyone can not enjoy Europe. It did rain for one day in Madrid and my family and I took a cab around the entire city going to the museums and sights. Even in the rain, people have fun on a trip, but in this story it seemed to be a boring time in Italy. I didn't understand this. Also, I am not married so the whole rest of the story doesn't make any connection with me.
             Overall, I have enjoyed Hemingway. I enjoy reading most of his stories. Yet, this particular story was not one of them. I did not connect or enjoy this story.

1 comment:

  1. I have to disagree with you on this one Clay. I enjoyed the story and felt badly for the woman in it. She was wanting to settle down and have a house of her own. Italy was not a vacation for her but instead it just another stop in the nomad life her husband and she were living. The cat represented a home and that is why she wanted it as much as she did. Reading this story reminded me of those in military families. A friend of mine here at TCU has a father in the marines and lived in Europe, Japan, and Rhode Island. As exciting of a life as that sounds, he wished he could have stayed in one spot instead of constantly having to restart his life.

    ReplyDelete